When Sunday rolls around, I know I should get lunches prep’d for the upcoming week but I procrastinate anyway. I make so many excuses: maybe I can just buy my lunch, or maybe I’ll make something tomorrow morning.
If that sounds familiar, this chilli recipe is great. Put everything in a pot, and check on it in 30 minutes. You can prepare it on a Sunday evening, with enough to last you for most of the week. If you’re feeling ambitious, try fresh tomatoes and make this in a slow cooker.
By the way: along with this recipe, Krystal made the amazing video below. Thanks Krystal! Follow the steps in the video, or the recipe instructions below.
- 4 cans of crushed tomatoes
- 4 cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 5 stalks of celery, chopped
- 4 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 or 2 white onion
- 5-6 cloves of garlic
- 3 tbsp of chili powder
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 lbs of ground beef
- 1 tbsp thyme
- Optional: jalapeno, hot sauce, or bell pepper
- Saltine Crackers or cornbread for serving
- Place the ground beef in a skillet with oil. Cook and crumble over medium-high heat until brown.
- In a large pot over high heat combine the ground beef, tomato juice, tomato sauce, kidney beans, garlic, onions, bell pepper, oregano, ground black pepper, salt, cumin and chili powder. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Simmer for 1/2 hour.
- Sample to taste; cook for more time if desired